Friday, February 8, 2013

The Same Ten Questions with Jojo Bravo

Photo Credit: TexasAnarchy.com



This week at The Wrestling Blog, we figuratively sit down with the mighty young Jojo Bravo. After making his name around various promotions in Texas, Jojo recently stepped up as the Anarchy Championship Wrestling representative for National Pro Wrestling Day’s Rey de Voladores tournament. Find out what he thought of the event, how he makes a convincing positive argument for Triple H, and how he attacks The Same Ten Questions after the jump.



 We first had the pleasure of meeting at National Pro Wrestling Day. How do you think your appearance at NPWD went?

I think it went great! I’m hoping that I made some new fans because I definitely made some new friends.

What was your strategy going into it, given that you only had a small amount of time to show the world what you do?

My strategy was the same as always. To be as big as humanly possible, and thereby more memorable. As far as iPPV goes, I’d say the amount of time I got was standard/generous!

Speaking of big men, one of the things we immediately could bond over is a shared love of Yokozuna. What is it about him that makes you such a fan?

Well, aside from the fact that I am a legit fan of Sumo wrestling. I am a very big fan of the title reigns of short lived villains in the fed. Guys who enjoyed the center stage for just a short time, but weren’t a part of the main roster long, ie: I really enjoyed JBL’s title reign, as well as Backlund’s second reign. I wish they'd have put the strap on Ludvig Borga or Giant Gonzales!

Who in your mind has been the most effective heel?

I’d have to say, early to mid-2000s Triple H was an incredibly affective heel. Perhaps the best ever, hateable and compelling. Absolutely no redeeming qualities, perfectly able to get anyone behind the baby, INCLUDING SCOTT STEINER. He had a half a year I call "Triple H vs WCW" where he faced, Y2J, Hogan, Booker T, Goldberg, Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner. If only he'd had a main event feud with Buff Bagwell...

He is the stuff, after all! To revisit NPWD, I know you got some great feedback some of the other wrestlers. Is there anyone you were looking forward to seeing that you hadn't before, or anyone you saw for the first time who really impressed you?

Honestly, I was so excited to see the Kaiju Big Battel guys at NPWD! I’m a huge fan of Godzilla, Ultraman and Gamera! Someone I was very impressed with? I did enjoy the intrepid spirit of that Heidi Lovelace!
Die hard!

NPWD was such a great way to introduce fans to wrestlers they may not get a chance to see otherwise. Now that you've made new fans, do you have anything coming up that we should know about? Where can we see more of your work in the future?

Absolutely! In Austin, Texas, my home turf, I’ll be teaming up with my partner Angel Blue to take on Pierre Abernathy and Colt Cabana! February 24th, my birthday no less!

Before we move on to the big Ten, is there anything else we should know about Jojo Bravo?

I finallygot a twitter! You can also find me on Facebook. Most of all I'd like to say I'm grateful. Grateful for all that life has afforded me, and all of the opportunities I've been given. I cultivate gratitude in everything I do.




The Same Ten Questions

What is your earliest wrestling-related memory?

If I remember correctly, the first show I saw was a random Nitro in 1995 (yes, I was a WCW guy) The main event was Randy Savage vs The Giant. In the end Hulk Hogan runs in with a chair and starts nailing the referees that try to stop him.

What was the first wrestling show you attended?

I attended a less-than-memorable indie show held on a military base when I was 9. I wouldn’t see another until I witnessed Gene Snitsky kick a baby into the crowd on RAW. I tried my damndest to catch that baby too!

It should also be noted that I went to a live action play version of Mortal Kombat and it RULED.

When was the moment you realized you wanted to step up from wrestling fan to actual wrestler?

There was never a doubt in my mind from the time I began getting into it that this is what I wanted to do.

Is there one wrestler in particular that you’ve always looked up to? Why?

Once my tastes had refined a bit, I really started to get into Japanese wrestling, where I think my influences began to skew towards. I became a huge fan of Antonio Inoki. I loved his pure grappling style, it greatly influenced my own style. It’s an unpopular view point, but I loved the way that he attempted to legitimize Pro Wrestling by implementing shoot elements. It was very peculiar to me as a young man. And so, at 15 I bought an entire 6 cassette collection, spanning his entire career. THAT’S RIGHT CASSETTES!! I spent hours studying these tapes before I ever set foot into a ring and I liken them to ancient scrolls from which I derive secret techniques.

The Big Show/Giant deserves an honorable mention.



What is your favourite match you’ve wrestled thus far?

This is a great question. I had to think hard, but the answer would have to be a match I had with Jack Jameson, in some no-name company in San Antonio. For once I was sure that I could take the crowd, and Jack and I had become very comfortable with one another’s style at that point. It’s a fun one, you can check it out here.

Now that you’re involved in wrestling, who within the industry inspires you?

AKEBONO. Took me one second to come up with. In the 90s, besides Pro Wrestling, I also became a big fan of Sumo. I used to order tapes of the most recent sumo tournaments from Japan. I loved to see the 64th Yokozuna Akebono, an American wrestler who would become the first foreign grand champion. After his retirement, he went on to have a pretty embarrassing MMA career, I don’t know that he ever won! But when he finally settled on Pro Wrestling, I gained a new respect for the big man. He’s competed in all types of matches, including a barbed wire death match!

I’m sure there are people who think I’m trying to be funny here, but Bono is a hero of mine because he has never stopped challenging himself. Never stopped fighting, and even after a heart attack he still hasn’t quit. That’s fighting spirit.

If you could wrestle for any promotion in the world, which would you choose, and why?

As my taste has evolved, I’ve really fallen in love with a company called Osaka Pro Wrestling. They’ve got a great blend of Lucha, Strong-style, and heaps of comedy. With special appearances by big names, and colourful characters, it keeps me coming back constantly. Mark my words, Jojo Bravo will compete in this company one day.

Besides yourself, is there an independent wrestler out there you think should get more love?

I’m going to just list a couple of my running mates with whom I really appreciate and deserve all the credit for anything that makes me great: Jessica James, Jack Jameson, Bolt Brady, Portia Perez, Evan Gelistico, Barrett Brown, Ricky Starks, Barbi Hayden, Carson, Lil' Tony and Ultimo Zebra.…jeez, too many to name!

Was there a moment, either in your training or your first match, that made you reconsider being a wrestler?

HELL NO. I used to come home dog tired, collapse the minute I walked in the door, only to do it again the next day.

What is the most fulfilling part of pursuing a career in wrestling?

Friendship, no question. Some people say that wrestling is not about making friends, and that might be true. But I have been so fortunate to make some of the best friends anyone could have on this journey of mine. I have never been wealthy, but I have always been rich in friendship! I make a friend out of every opponent, every partner, every roster, EVERY TIME. It’s helped me to have some of the best matches, to be booked in the best promotions and to have the greatest experiences. There have been times where I step back and I have to fight the tears of joy because I think about all of these great shows I’ve been a part of, the great fans who support our industry, and the performers who have inspired me along this great path we are all taking together. I’m awestruck, totally dumbfounded and absolutely in love with what we do and all of the people who have taken a chance and believed in a little guy from Round Rock, Texas. Thank you every one, EVER! I love you all.